Sunday, December 26, 2010

Blizzard Warning / Winter Survival Kit


We are under a sever weather alert.  A blizzard warning is in effect with strong winds, lots of blowout snow and poor visibility.  I was reading the alert and it says that if you must travel, you should have a winter survival kit with you.  I asked myself: what's in a winter survival kit?  Later I got the same question from a friend.  We ought to know living in a snowy area, right?

There are long lists in the Internet, but who knows if al that will fit in a car... some people just put so many things in those lists, that you should have a suitcase with you just to carry them.  This is what I think is easily found in a house and simple, yet important:

  • Metal Coffee Can (To melt snow in)
  • Candles
  • Boxes of Matches
  • Flash Light
  • Batteries
  • Pocket Knife or Scissors
  • Brightly colored cloth to tie to the antenna
  • Plastic Spoon
  • Chicken Bouillon, tea bags, instant soup, etc. (to mix into the snow)
  • Nuts
  • Candy
  • Socks
  • Gloves
  • Toilet Paper
  • Whistle
  • Any warm clothing you can fit in, including blankets
This Website has some useful advice:  http://www.21stcenturyadventures.com/advice/lists/winterSurvivalChecklist.html

1 comment:

  1. I heard about the blizzard and I hope you are all safe. Here we have more snow than in the last ten years and I almost can't remember the time when we last had white Christmas. Love the snow like it is now!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails